Fruit 'n' Nut Tuna Sandwiches
Dress up a tuna sandwich with some jicama, walnuts, and a pear, and the sandwich is transformed!
Serves: Serves: 6
- 12-ounce can water-packed tuna, drained well
- 1 cup chopped pear
- 1/4 cup diced jicama
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 1/3 cup nonfat mayonnaise, or as needed
- 6 pita breads, cut in half
- 6 romaine lettuce leaves
- Combine tuna, pear, jicama, walnuts and pickle relish in medium bowl; stir in mayonnaise (adding more as needed for desired consistency).
- Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
- When ready to serve, line pita pockets with romaine lettuce leaves; fill with tuna mixture or prepare the night before, wrap securely and take for a quick lunch the next day.
- Pears are actually a member of the rose family. They not only ripen better off the tree but also ripen from the inside out.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.