Garden Stuffed Pitas
This garden stuffed pita is as delicious as it is healthy.
Serves: 4 servings
- 3 cups mixed salad greens or torn romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small carrot, peeled and shredded with a potato peeler
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded nonfat or reduced-fat
- Cheddar or mozzarella cheese
- 4 whole wheat or oat bran pita pockets (6-inch rounds), cut in half
- 1/4 cup bottled nonfat or reduced-fat ranch, honey mustard, or Italian salad dressing
- To make the filling, place the salad greens or lettuce, mushrooms, carrot, red pepper, and cheese in a large bowl, and toss to mix well. Set aside.
- To heat the pita pockets, place them on a microwave-safe plate. Cover with a damp paper towel, and microwave on high power for about 45 seconds, or until warm.
- Stuff each pita half with some of the salad mixture. Drizzle 1 1/2 teaspoons of dressing over the filling in each pocket, and serve.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.