Grandiose Grain Burgers
These lentil-based veggie burgers have enticing flavor.
Serves: Serves: 6
- 3 cups cooked lentils
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup cracker meal
- Combine lentils, onion powder, egg whites, egg substitute, garlic powder, cumin, sage and Tabasco sauce in food processor or blender (you may need to divide this into two batches); process until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to medium bowl; add remaining ingredients and mix well. If mixture needs to be thickened, add 1 to 2 tablespoons additional cracker meal.
- Shape mixture into patties.
- Spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add patties and cook until browned, 6 to 7 minutes per side.
- Serve immediately or cool, wrap and freeze. Reheat grain burgers in microwave or oven (wrapped in foil). Serve on whole-grain rolls garnished with lettuce, tomatoes and sliced onions.
- Along with a variety of soy products, lentils are an excellent source of flavonoids, antioxidants that may reduce the formation of artery-clogging plaque, reducing the risk of heart attack.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.