This version of Italian heroes tastes better than anything you'll find at any restaurant -- and it's so much healthier!
Serves: 4 servings
- 4 whole wheat or Italian submarine-sandwich rolls, each 6 inches long
- 1/4 cup nonfat or reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 8 ounces thinly sliced ham, at least 97% lean
- 24 slices turkey pepperoni
- 4 ounces thinly sliced nonfat or reduced-fat mozzarella or provolone cheese
- 12 thin slices plum tomato
- 4 thin slices red onion, separated into rings
- 8 thin slices green bell pepper
- 1 1/3 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup bottled nonfat or reduced-fat Italian salad dressing
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives (optional)
- Place the bottom half of each roll on a flat surface, and spread with 1 1/2 teaspoons of mayonnaise. Top with a quarter of the ham, pepperoni, and cheese, followed by 3 tomato slices, some of the onion rings, 2 rings of green pepper, and 1/3 cup of lettuce. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of Italian dressing over each sandwich, and sprinkle with a few olives, if desired.
- Spread the top half of each roll with 1 1/2 teaspoons of mayonnaise. Place each top on a sandwich, cut each sandwich in half, and serve.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.