Monte Cristo Sandwiches
The Monte Cristo is an undeniably great hot sandwich that makes a perfect light supper.
Serves: 4 servings
- 12 slices sourdough or firm multigrain bread
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 slices (1 ounce each) roasted turkey breast
- 8 thin slices (1/2 ounce each) nonfat or reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 4 slices (1 ounce each) ham, at least 97% lean
- 1/2 cup fat-free egg substitute
- 1/4 cup skim or low-fat milk
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Arrange 3 pieces of the bread on a flat surface, and spread each with 1/2 teaspoon of the mustard. Place 1 slice of turkey and 1 slice of cheese over the mustard on one bread slice. Top with a second bread slice, mustard side up, and lay 1 slice of ham and 1 slice of cheese on the second bread slice. Top with the remaining bread slice, mustard side down. Repeat this procedure with the remaining ingredients to make 4 sandwiches.
- Place the egg substitute, milk, and nutmeg in a shallow dish, and stir to mix well. Dip both sides of each sandwich into the egg mixture.
- Coat a large griddle or nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and preheat over medium heat until a drop of water sizzles when it hits the heated surface. Arrange the sandwiches on the griddle, and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, or until the bottoms are golden brown. Spray the tops of the sandwiches with cooking spray, turn them over, and cook for another couple of minutes, or until both sides are golden brown.
- Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray, and transfer the sandwiches to the sheet. Bake at 450°F for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the sandwiches are heated through and the cheese is melted. Cut each sandwich in half diagonally, and serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.