Rice and Black Bean Burritos
Burritos are so simple and so popular -- it must be that enduring combination of rice, beans, and cheese!
Serves: Serves: 6
- 3 1/2 cups canned black beans, drained
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1/3 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped green chilies
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 6 low-fat flour tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups shredded nonfat cheddar cheese
- Spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray.
- Add beans, salsa, tomatoes and chilies to skillet; cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until heated through.
- Add rice and mix well.
- Divide filling among tortillas; top with cheese.
- Roll tortillas up burrito style and place seam-side down on plate.
- Cover with plastic wrap and freeze until firm. Store burritos in individual plastic freezer bags.
- To reheat: Place in microwave-safe dish and heat on High 1 to 2 minutes per burrito. Serve with additional salsa, nonfat sour cream and chopped green onions.
- Calcium-rich cheddar cheese promotes healthy heart, brain, muscle and nervous system function.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.