Roast Pork Pita with Applesauce
Mix it up a little with this roast pork in pita bread recipe.
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 30M
Serves: Serves 2
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs, made from about 2 slices of firm-textured white bread
- 4 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 pita breads
- 8oz (225g) leftover roast pork, sliced
- applesauce, store-bought or homemade
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Heat the olive oil and butter in a frying pan over low heat. Add the onion, and cook gently for about 5 minutes until soft. Stir in the bread crumbs and sage, and cook for a few minutes. Remove from the heat, and allow to cool.
- Stir the beaten egg into the bread crumb mixture, and season well with salt and pepper. Spoon into a buttered dish, and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Warm the pita breads, then slice open the pocket and stuff with the pork, a spoonful of bread stuffing, and some applesauce. Serve immediately with a crisp salad.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!