Roman Burger Melts
This healthy version of pizza burgers adds home-cooked goodness to a restaurant favorite.
Serves: Serves: 6
- 6 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) dried fine bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning ft
- 1/4 cup water
- 16 ounces ground 90% lean turkey or beef
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can Healthy Request Tomato Soup
- 6 (3/4-ounce) slices Kraft reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 6 reduced-calorie hamburger buns
- In a large bowl, combine bread crumbs, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, and water. Add meat. Mix well to combine.
- Using a 1/3 cup measuring cup as a guide, form into 6 patties.
- Place patties in a large skillet sprayed with olive oil-flavored cooking spray. Brown patties for 3 minutes on each side.
- In a medium bowl, combine tomato soup and remaining 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning. Pour soup mixture evenly over browned patties.
- Lower heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Place 1 slice of mozzarella cheese over each patty. Continue simmering, uncovered, for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese starts to melt.
- For each sandwich, place 1 patty between hamburger bun and spoon about 2 tablespoons sauce mixture over top. Serve at once.
From COOKING HEALTHY WITH THE KIDS IN MIND by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 1998 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here.