Shrimp in a Pita Boat
Swiss cheese can join the shrimp for a ride together in this pita boat!
Serves: 4 servings
- 4 whole wheat or oat bran pita pockets (6-inch rounds), cut in half
- 2 cups cooked peeled shrimp (about 12 ounces)
- 4 ounces thinly sliced nonfat or reduced-fat
- Swiss cheese (optional)
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 8 slices tomato
- 4 thin slices red onion, separated into rings
- 1/2 cup bottled nonfat or reduced-fat ranch salad dressing
- Fill each pita half with 1/4 cup of the shrimp and, if desired, 1/2 ounce of the cheese.
- To heat the sandwiches, arrange them on a large microwave-safe plate, cover with damp paper towels, and microwave on high power for 2 minutes, or just until the sandwiches are heated through.
- Place some of the lettuce, 1 slice of tomato, and a few onion rings in each pita half. Drizzle some dressing over the filling, and serve.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.