Skinny Sloppy Joes
This Joe is a lot skinnier, but just as Sloppy. Your kids will really go for it.
Serves: 6 servings
- 1 pound 95% lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 can (1 pound) unsalted tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 whole wheat or multigrain burger buns
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and preheat over medium heat. Add the ground meat, and cook, stirring to crumble, until the meat is no longer pink. Drain off and discard any excess fat.
- Add the onion and green pepper to the skillet, and stir to mix. Cover and cook, stirring frequently, for about 4 minutes, or until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients except for the buns to the skillet, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes, or until the onions and peppers are soft and the flavors are well blended. Allow the mixture to simmer uncovered for a few minutes if the sauce seems too thin.
- Spoon 1/2 cup of the mixture onto the bottom half of each bun, top with the remaining half, and serve hot.
- For even skinnier Sloppy Joes, substitute 1 cup of frozen meatless recipe crumbles, tofu hamburger, or TVP for half of the ground beef.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.