These spicy Mexican sandwiches deliver South-of-the-Border spirit in one tasty bundle.
Serves: Serves: 8
- 16 ounces ground 90% lean turkey or beef
- 1 cup (one 8-ounce can) Hunt's Tomato Sauce
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 8 reduced-calorie hamburger buns
- 1 cup finely shredded lettuce
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Kraft reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet sprayed with olive oil-flavored cooking spray, brown meat. Stir in tomato sauce, taco seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard.
- Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- For each sandwich, spoon about 1/3 cup meat mixture between a bun and sprinkle 2 tablespoons lettuce and 1 1/2 tablespoons Cheddar cheese over top of meat mixture. Serve at once.
- Good topped with 1 teaspoon fat-free sour cream, but don't forget to count the few additional calories.
From COOKING HEALTHY WITH THE KIDS IN MIND by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright ฉ 1998 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here.