Tuna Cheddar Melts
No typical tuna melt, this sandwich features English muffins, sweet relish, and cheddar cheese.
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 can (12 ounces) water-packed chunk light or albacore tuna, drained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons nonfat or reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3-4 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 whole wheat or oat bran English muffins, split
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- Place the tuna, celery, onion, mayonnaise, relish, and pepper in a small bowl, and stir to mix well. Set aside.
- Toast the English muffins, and arrange on a baking sheet, split side up. Spread about 1/4 cup of the tuna mixture on each piece, and place under a preheated broiler for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the mixture is hot. Top each muffin half with 2 tablespoons of the cheese, and broil for another minute or 2, or until the cheese is melted. Serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.