This version of the diner classic is enlivened with the tangy flavors of red pepper, lemon, and ketchup
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 10M
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 4 English muffins
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 ï¿½ 6oz ( 170g) cans albacore tuna, drained
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 6 tbsp mayonnaise
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 4 large, thin slices of sharp Cheddar cheese, halved diagonally
- Position a broiler rack 6in (15cm) from the heat and preheat. Split the muffins and toast.
- Heat the oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add the red pepper, scallions, and shallots. Cook, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Add the tuna, breaking up the chunks with a fork. Cook for about 1 minute, until the tuna is heated through. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the ketchup, 2 tbsp of the mayonnaise, and the lemon zest.
- Spread the remaining mayonnaise over the cut sides of the muffins. Spread 4 muffin halves with the tuna mixture and arrange the cheese triangles on top.
- Grill until the cheese melts. Top with the remaining 4 muffin halves. Serve at once.
- Good with a selection of your favorite pickles.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!