This white sauce uses a classic roux base; use for shrimp, salmon, or other seafood dishes
Prep Time: prep 5 mins, plus standing
Cooking Time: cook 5 mins
Serves: makes about 11/2 cups
- 1 1 / 4 cups whole milk
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 parsley sprigs
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Bring the milk, onion, bay leaf, parsley, and peppercorns to a simmer in a medium saucepan over low heat. Remove from the heat and let stand for 20 minutes. Strain.
- Melt the butter in a clean medium saucepan over low heat. Whisk in the flour and let bubble without browning for 1-2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in the warm milk. Boil over medium heat, whisking almost constantly. Reduce heat and simmer, about 5 minutes, until the sauce is smooth and thick. Add the nutmeg and season with salt and pepper.
- prep 5 mins, plus standing; cook 5 mins
Cheese Sauce: Stir 3/4 cup shredded sharp Cheddar and 1/8 tsp dry mustard into the simmered sauce.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!