Fragrant and tangy, this French sauce is great with steak
Prep Time: prep 10 mins
Cooking Time: cook 5 mins
Serves: makes about 1 cup
- 2 small shallots, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp chopped tarragon
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp dry white wine
- 1 tsp peppercorns, crushed
- 3 large egg yolks
- 14 tbsp butter, at room temperature
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Bring the shallots, 1 tbsp of the tarragon, vinegar, wine, and peppercorns to a boil in a heavy nonreactive saucepan over high heat. Boil for about 2 minutes, or until the mixture has reduced by half. Strain the liquid through a sieve and let cool.
- Whisk the egg yolks and 1 tbsp water in a heatproof bowl. Place over a saucepan of barely simmering water. Whisk in the cooled liquid. Whisk in the butter, 1 tbsp at a time, until the first addition softens into a creamy sauce before adding more. Whisk in the lemon juice and remaining tarragon. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
- prep 10 mins; cook 5 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!