Ginger Cream Sauce
This spiced custard sauce is great for dipping fruits, cookies, or even cubes of cake
Prep Time: prep 10 mins, plus infusing
Cooking Time: cook 45 mins
Serves: makes 8 servings
- 3 3 / 4 cups heavy cream
- 2 / 3 cup sugar
- 8oz ( 225g) fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 4 star anise
- 6 large egg yolks, beaten
- five-spice powder, for sifting (optional)
- Bring the cream and sugar to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from the heat and stir in the ginger and star anise. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. Reheat the milk until piping hot. Strain the milk into a bowl.
- Whisk the yolks in another bowl until thickened. Whisk in the hot cream. Strain the cream mixture back into the saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the custard coats the back of a spoon. Do not boil. Pour into eight dessert dishes and sift five-spice powder on top, if desired. Serve warm.
- prep 10 mins, plus infusing; cook 45 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!