Mean Cheese Sauce
This simple sauce made with cheese, onions, and a dash of mustard powder will jazz up any healthy steamed vegetable.
Serves: serves 2
- 1 small onion
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp butter
- 2 tsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder
- 2 oz (60 g) low-fat Cheddar cheese, grated
- Peel and quarter the onion, put in a pan with the milk and bay leaf, heat the milk to near boiling point, and leave to infuse for half an hour.
- Melt the butter in a small pan; add the flour and the mustard powder, stirring briskly. Remove from heat.
- Strain and reheat the milk, stir into the flour-butter mixture, and beat over low heat until smooth.
- Stir in the cheese.
- Pour over any vegetables-steamed until tender-and put under a hot broiler for 2-3 minutes.
Excerpted from SuperFoods, SuperFast.
Copyright © 2006 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!