This rich, creamy, garlicky sauce is delicious with fish
Prep Time: prep 10 mins
Serves: makes 450ml (15fl oz)
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 large egg, plus 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 / 4 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the vinegar, egg, egg yolks, and mustard in a food processor. Blend until combined. With the motor running, pour in the oil in a steady stream.
- When the sauce is thick and creamy, add the crushed garlic and lemon juice, and process until well combined and smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- prep 10 mins
Classic Aioli: To make this sauce by the traditional method, place the vinegar, egg, egg yolks (all at room temperature), and mustard in a bowl set on a folded kitchen towel. Using a balloon whisk, beat until thick. Add the oil, drop by drop, whisking constantly. Whisk in the remaining oil, 1 tbsp at a time. Whisk in the garlic and lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!