Rich Tomato Sauce
Categories: Big-Batch Meals, Comfort Foods, Entertaining, Kid-friendly, Low-fat, Vegetarian
This tasty tomato sauce goes great over pasta, or can be used to make a lasagna or moussaka.
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 30M
Serves: Serves 8
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 2 × 28oz (800g) cans whole tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste or purée
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 heaped tsp pesto
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan, add the garlic, and cook over low heat for a few seconds. Add the tomatoes and tomato paste or purée, bring to a boil, then add the oregano and bay leaves and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, cook for 2 minutes, then stir in the pesto and remove from heat.
- Let cool completely, then remove the bay leaves and discard. Divide the sauce evenly among 4 freezer bags (2 portions per bag), seal, and freeze for up to 6 months.
- To serve, defrost overnight in the refrigerator or at room temperature for 6 hours, transfer to a saucepan and heat until warmed through. Serve with pasta or use to make a lasagna or moussaka.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!