Spicy Tomato and Onion Sauce
This spicy dish is chock full of vitamins, and great taste.
Serves: serves 6-8
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp English mustard
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- a thick slice of lemon
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 6 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat and sauté the onion and garlic gently for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the vinegar, water, mustard, sugar, lemon, and cayenne.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients, season to taste with salt and pepper, and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove the lemon from the sauce before serving.
- Serve this sauce with pasta, grilled chicken, or fish. You can make a large amount, divide it into smaller quantities, and keep it in the freezer.
Excerpted from SuperFoods, SuperFast.
Copyright © 2006 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!