Make a quick and easy spinach sauce to have on hand for a simple, yet delicious, pasta dish.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 20M
Serves: Serves 8
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 2 red chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 11/4lb (550g) baby spinach leaves, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 11/4 cups dry white wine
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan, add the onions, and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until soft. Stir in the garlic and chiles and cook for 2 minutes. Add the spinach and cook for 3 minutes or until wilted.
- Add the wine and allow to simmer for 5 minutes or until reduced by half. Add the flour and combine well. Pour in half the milk and stir well to combine. Add the rest of the milk a little at a time, stirring constantly, and cook for 5 minutes or until you have a creamy sauce. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Leave to cool completely, then divide among 4 freezer bags (2 portions per bag). Seal and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To serve, defrost overnight in the refrigerator, transfer to a saucepan with a little milk and warm through gently but do not overcook. Use as a sauce for chicken, fish, or new potatoes or stir in some grated Cheddar cheese and serve with pasta.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!