Easy to make, this sauce is wonderfully versatile
Prep Time: prep 5 mins
Cooking Time: cook 30 mins
Serves: makes about 2 cups
- 1 / 4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- one 28 oz ( 794g) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 / 4 cup tomato paste
- 8 basil leaves, torn
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-8 minutes until the onion is golden, but not browned.
- Stir in the tomatoes with their juice, tomato paste, and half the basil leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes, or until the sauce is thick. Adjust the seasoning if necessary. Stir in the remaining basil.
- prep 5 mins; cook 30 mins
Spicy Tomato Sauce: Add 1 minced fresh hot red chile pepper with the tomatoes.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!