Almost Boston Baked Beans
Type: Side Dishes
This baked bean dish is low in sugar, salt, and calories -- unlike the traditional version!
Serves: Serves: 6 (1/2 cup)
- 32 ounces (two 16-ounce cans) navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 cup (one 8-ounce can) Hunt's Tomato Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar Twin
- 2 tablespoons pourable Sugar Twin
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 full cup (6 ounces) finely diced Dubuque 97% fat-free ham or any extra-lean ham
- In a slow cooker container, combine navy beans, vinegar, tomato sauce, Brown Sugar Twin, Sugar Twin, and mustard.
- Add onion and ham. Mix well to combine.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours.
- Mix well before serving.
From COOKING HEALTHY ACROSS AMERICA by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 2000 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here or on the book cover.