Type: Side Dishes
Sweet-tart applesauce contrasts well with rich meats. This classic sauce is traditionally served with roast pork
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 15M
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 1lb 2oz ( 500g) sweet dessert apples, such as Golden Delicious or McIntosh
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- Peel, core, and roughly chop the apples. Combine the apples, 1/2 cup water, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, and salt to a simmer in a heavy-bottomed, medium saucepan.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 12-15 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally, until the apples are tender but juicy. Remove the cinnamon stick.
- Remove from the heat, Using a fork, beat in the butter. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- freeze for up to 3 months
- Prepare ahead: The applesauce can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- Good with roast pork, sausages, or potato pancakes.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!