Asparagus with Honey Mustard Sauce
Zesty Dijon mustard, sweet honey, and tangy lemon juice make a superb dressing for fresh asparagus!
Serves: 5 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh asparagus spears
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons nonfat or reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon honey
- Rinse the asparagus under cool running water, and snap off the tough stem ends. Arrange the asparagus spears in a microwave or conventional steamer. Cover and cook on high power or over medium-high heat for about 4 minutes, or just until the spears are crisp-tender. Transfer to a serving dish.
- While the asparagus are cooking, place all of the sauce ingredients in a 1-quart saucepan, and stir to mix well. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, just until the sauce is heated through. Alternatively, place the sauce in a microwave-safe bowl, and microwave uncovered on high power for 1 to 2 minutes, or just until heated through. Add a few teaspoons of water if the sauce seems too thick.
- Drizzle the sauce over the asparagus, and serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.