Baked Ricotta with Roasted Tomatoes
This dish is all about balance. Match the mild ricotta with full-flavored olive oil, ripe tomatoes, and sharp black pepper
Prep Time: prep 15 mins
Cooking Time: cook 25 mins
Serves: makes 4 appetizer servings
- 1 large red pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more for the pan and for drizzling
- 7 ripe cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8oz ( 220g) fresh ricotta cheese, drained to remove excess whey
- 2 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Position a broiler rack 6in (15cm) from the source of heat and preheat the broiler. Place the red pepper on the rack and broil, turning occasionally, about 10 minutes, until the skin is charred and blistered. Transfer to a plate and cool. Peel and discard the ribs and seeds. Cut the pepper into thin strips.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Lightly oil a small baking dish. Reserve 2 tomato halves and place the remaining tomato halves in the dish, cut sides up. Drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 7-10 minutes until the tomatoes soften. Remove the dish from the oven and set aside.
- Cut the ricotta cheese in half crosswise. Remove the tomatoes from the dish. Place the bottom half of the ricotta, cut side up, in the dish and season lightly with salt and pepper. Arrange the pepper strips on top, then the tomatoes. Drizzle with olive oil and top with the remaining ricotta, cut side down.
- Sprinkle with the Parmesan and drizzle with a little extra oil. Return to the oven and bake for 15 minutes until the cheese is hot and the top is golden.
- prep 15 mins; cook 25 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!