Baked Stuffed Tomatoes
Large and meaty beefsteak tomatoes are perfect for filling
Prep Time: prep 40 mins, plus standing
Cooking Time: cook 15-20 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 4 large ripe beefsteak tomatoes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 anchovy fillets, minced
- 1 / 4 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1 / 4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 5oz ( 150g) ricotta or goat cheese
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp finely chopped basil
- Cut each tomato in half horizontally. Scoop out the insides with a spoon, sprinkle the halves with salt, and let drain.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and anchovies and stir for 30 seconds. Stir in the bread crumbs and cook until they are well coated in oil, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Mix together the three cheeses with the basil. Season with the pepper. Fill each tomato with the cheese mixture and top with the garlic crumbs.
- Bake in an oiled baking dish about 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden. Serve hot or warm.
- prep 40 mins, plus standing; cook 15-20 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!