Beans, vegetables, and herbs come together in this fresh and healthy side dish that's packed with protein.
Serves: serves 4
- 2 oz (60 g) dried fava beans, soaked overnight
- 2 oz (60 g) dried red kidney beans, soaked overnight
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 7 oz (200 g) canned diced tomatoes a small sprig of fresh thyme or a pinch of dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- Drain the beans, put in separate pans, and cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil and boil rapidly for 10 minutes, then turn the heat down, cover, and simmer for about an hour, or until the beans are tender. Drain, reserving the liquid.
- Heat the oil in a heavy pan over medium heat, add the onion and garlic, and cook until soft.
- Add the carrots, zucchini, celery, tomatoes, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. Add enough of the bean cooking water to moisten.
- Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, adding more of the bean water if necessary, until all the vegetables are soft.
- Add the beans-and more liquid as needed-cover, heat through gently, and serve.
Excerpted from SuperFoods, SuperFast.
Copyright © 2006 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!