Belgian Endive with Thyme
Slow cooking reduces endive's natural bitterness
Prep Time: prep 5 mins
Cooking Time: cook 30 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 heads of Belgian endive
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat the oil in a large deep frying pan over medium heat. Add the endives, shallot, thyme, and bay leaf. Cook, turning the endives occasionally, for about 3 minutes, until they are golden all over.
- Add 2 tbsp water and reduce the heat to low. Cover the pan and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the endives are tender when pierced with a knife. Season with salt and pepper, then serve with the pan juices spooned over.
- prep 5 mins; cook 30 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!