Braised Red Cabbage with Apple
Type: Side Dishes
Most cabbage varieties are best cooked quickly, but red cabbage is an exception, benefiting from long, slow cooking
Prep Time: prep 10 mins
Cooking Time: cook 25 mins, plus 1-11/4 hrs for simmering
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 2 bacon slices, diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tart apple, such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 2lb ( 900g) shredded red cabbage
- 1 / 4 cup red wine vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large frying pan over medium-low heat, cook the bacon until it renders its fat. Add the onion, and cook for about 5 minutes, or until softened. Add the sugar and cook for 5 minutes, until the onion is golden. Add the apple and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3-4 minutes, until the apple is crisp-tender.
- Add the cabbage and toss to coat thoroughly with the bacon fat. Add the vinegar, and mix well. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes, or until the cabbage becomes a shade or so lighter.
- Stir in 2/3 cup water and season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 1-11/4 hours, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is very tender. Add a little more water, if necessary. Just before serving, season again with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
- prep 10 mins; cook 25 mins, plus 1-11/4 hrs for simmering
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!