Braised Red Cabbage
Cabbage cooked with garlic and brown sugar makes an easy and flavorful side dish for winter or year round.
Serves: serves 4
- 1 medium-sized red cabbage
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4-5 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- Rinse the cabbage, shred, and drain.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat and sauté the onion gently, add the garlic and cabbage, and stir well.
- Add the vinegar and sugar, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Lower the heat and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until tender-about half an hour-or cook covered in a moderate oven.
- If you like, add a dash of lemon before serving.
Excerpted from SuperFoods, SuperFast.
Copyright © 2006 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!