Brown Rice Pilaf
This classic side dish goes with any meal. Coriander, garlic, and carrots lend their flavors.
Serves: Serves: 4.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 handful chopped coriander
- Salt to taste
- Place rice and 2 cups of water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and steam for 40 minutes, or until all water has been absorbed. Always check your rice toward the end of the cooking time. Rices are particular and vary slightly.
- While the rice is cooking, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy skillet, add the crushed garlic cloves, and sauté gently for a few moments. Add the carrot, stir to coat with oil, and add the water.
- Reduce the heat, cover the pan, and simmer until the carrot is tender but not soft. Check carefully that there is always sufficient water to braise the carrot, adding water in small quantities if necessary.
- Add the chopped coriander for the last moments, letting it steam.
- When the rice is done, place the carrot and rice in a bowl and mix gently. Add salt to taste.
From Eat Right for Your Baby by Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo with Catherine Whitney. Copyright © 2004.
To order this book visit www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.