Brussels Sprouts with Orange
Fresh orange zest, along with orange and lime juices add a burst of sunshine to this winter vegetable
Prep Time: prep 15 mins, plus blanching the sprouts
Cooking Time: cook 7-8 mins
Serves: makes 4-6 servings
- 1lb ( 450g) Brussels sprouts
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 / 3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Using a small knife, remove the outer leaves from the Brussels sprouts. To help the sprouts cook evenly and quickly, cut an "x" into the bottom of each one.
- Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the sprouts, return to a boil, and cook about 8 minutes, or until barely tender. Drain well. Let stand until cool enough to handle. Cut each sprout in half lengthwise.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the shallot and cook, stirring often, about 3 minutes or until golden brown. Add the sprouts and cook, stirring often, about 2 minutes until heated through.
- Stir in the orange zest and juice and cook for 2 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced by half. Remove from the heat and stir in the lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
- prep 15 mins, plus blanching the sprouts; cook 7-8 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!