Bueno Black Beans and Rice
Type: Side Dishes
Sausage, black beans, and rice make a tasty yet simple dish.
Serves: 5 servings
- 8 ounces smoked sausage or kielbasa, at least 97% lean, thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 1/4 cups water or unsalted chicken broth
- 2 cups quick-cooking brown rice
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and preheat over medium heat. Add the sausage or kielbasa, onion, and green pepper, and stir to mix. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 4 minutes, or until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients to the skillet, stir to mix well, and bring to a boil. Stir, reduce the heat to low, and cover. Simmer for 8 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, cover, and let stand for 5 minutes. Remove and discard the bay leaf, and serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.