Cajun-spiced Potato Wedges
This peppery dish was developed by the French settlers of Louisiana
Prep Time: prep 10 mins
Cooking Time: cook 35-45 mins
Serves: makes 6 servings
- 4 potatoes, unpeeled
- 3 red onions, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 lemon, cut into 6 wedges
- 12 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 / 3 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 / 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 / 2 tsp ground cumin
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400癋 (200癈). Cut the potatoes into thick wedges. Parcook in a large pan of salted boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain well. Combine the potatoes, onions, lemon, garlic, and bay leaves in a large roasting pan.
- Whisk together the oil, lemon juice, tomato paste, paprika, oregano, thyme, cayenne, and cumin, pour over the potatoes, and toss. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes, turning frequently with a metal spatula, until the potatoes are tender and have absorbed the liquid. Serve hot.
- prep 10 mins; cook 35-45 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!