Don't expect any leftovers from this carrot-zucchini kugel recipe. It will quickly become your family's favorite side dish.
Serves: Serves: 6
- 1 tablespoon vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 medium potato, peeled and grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 2 to 3 tablespoons matzo meal
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Mrs. Dash seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray 9X13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Pour 1 tablespoon vegetable broth into pan; place in oven 3 to 5 minutes to heat.
- Combine zucchini, carrots, potato, onion powder, 3/4 cup egg substitute, 2 tablespoons matzo meal, Italian seasoning, pepper and Mrs. Dash seasoning; mix until thick and smooth. If needed, add additional egg substitute and/or matzo meal to reach desired texture.
- Pour mixture into baking dish; spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake 45 to 60 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool to room temperature; kugel can be cut into individual servings, wrapped in freezer wrap and stored in freezer up to 2 months.
- To reheat: Microwave on High 1 to 3 minutes, until heated through. Kugel can be served hot or cold; garnish with nonfat sour cream if desired.
- Zucchini, a member of the summer squash family, is loaded with potassium and only has 15 calories per serving.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.