Cauliflower and Broccoli Cheese
The cheesy sauce in the side dish will help your kids like their vegetables.
Serves: serves 4
- 1 small cauliflower
- 1 small head of broccoli
- 2 cups milk
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp whole-wheat flour
- 2 oz (60 g) Cheddar, grated
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Break the vegetables into florets and cook them in the milk until just tender.
- Drain, reserving the milk, and put the vegetables in a buttered gratin dish.
- Melt the butter in a small nonstick saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Stir in the flour, 1 tablespoon of the cheese, the mustard, and seasoning.
- Stir in the hot milk to make a smooth sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the vegetables, scatter the rest of the cheese on top, and bake for 15-20 minutes.
Excerpted from SuperFoods, SuperFast.
Copyright © 2006 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!