Cauliflower au Gratin
Cauliflower florets become a down-home favorite when you add cracker crumbs and cheddar cheese.
Serves: 5 servings
- 1 recipe Cheddar Cheese Sauce
- 1 package (1 pound) frozen cauliflower florets, thawed and drained
- 2 tablespoons finely ground cracker crumbs (onion or herb flavor) or seasoned dried bread crumbs
- Nonstick butter-flavored cooking spray
- Prepare the cheese sauce in a 2-quart pot. Add the cauliflower and cook uncovered, stirring frequently, for about 2 minutes, or just until heated through.
- Coat a shallow 1 1/2-quart casserole dish or a 9-inch deep dish pie pan with nonstick cooking spray, and spread the mixture evenly in the dish. Sprinkle the crumbs over the top of the mixture, and spray the crumbs lightly with the cooking spray.
- Bake uncovered at 350°F for about 20 minutes, or until the top is browned and the edges are bubbly. Remove the dish from the oven, and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- For variety, substitute broccoli for the cauliflower.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.