Celery Crunch Casserole
Celery is the featured item in this bubbling casserole of goodness.
Serves: 8 servings
- 3/4 cup evaporated skim milk
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon unbleached flour
- 3 cups thinly sliced celery (about 6 medium stalks)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds (optional)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese*
- 2 tablespoons plain dried bread crumbs
- Nonstick butter-flavored cooking spray
- * In this recipe, use regular Parmesan cheese, not a fat-free product.
- To make the topping, place the Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs in a small dish, and stir to mix well. Set aside.
- Place the evaporated milk and flour in a jar with a tight-fitting lid, and shake until smooth. Set aside.
- Place the celery and water in a large nonstick skillet. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes, or until the celery is crisp-tender. (Add a little more water if the skillet becomes too dry.) Carefully drain off any excess liquid.
- Add the broth to the skillet, and allow the mixture to come to a boil. Shake the milk mixture, and, stirring constantly, add it to the celery mixture. Reduce the heat to medium, and continue to cook and stir for another minute or 2, or until the mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, and stir in the water chestnuts, mushrooms, and if desired, the almonds. Set aside.
- Coat a shallow 1 1/2-quart casserole dish or a 9-inch deep dish pie pan with nonstick cooking spray, and spread the vegetable mixture evenly in the dish. Sprinkle the topping over the vegetables, and spray the top lightly with the cooking spray.
- Bake uncovered at 350°F for about 23 minutes, or until the mixture is bubbly around the edges and the top is nicely browned. Remove the dish from the oven, and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.