Cheddar Scalloped Potatoes
This casserole features a yummy cheese sauce and buttery-tasting potatoes.
Serves: 6 servings
- 1 1/4 pounds unpeeled Yukon Gold or russet potatoes (3-4 medium)
- 1 recipe Cheddar Cheese Sauce
- 2 tablespoons plain dried bread crumbs
- Nonstick butter-flavored cooking spray
- To cook the potatoes in a microwave oven, prick each potato in several places with a fork, and microwave on high power for about 12 minutes, or until tender. To cook the potatoes in a conventional oven, wrap each potato in aluminum foil, and bake at 400ºF for about 40 minutes, or until tender. Set aside to cool.
- When the potatoes have cooled, slice them into 1/4-inch-thick slices. There should be about 3 1/2 cups of cooked potatoes. Set aside.
- Prepare the Cheddar Cheese Sauce in a 2-quart pot, increasing the amount of milk called for in the recipe to 11/4 cups. Remove the sauce from the heat, add the potatoes, and toss to mix well.
- Coat a shallow 1 1/2-quart casserole dish or a 9-inch deep dish pie pan with nonstick cooking spray, and spread the mixture evenly in the dish. Sprinkle the crumbs over the top of the mixture, and spray the top lightly with the cooking spray.
- Bake uncovered at 350°F for about 25 minutes, or until the edges are bubbly and the top is lightly browned. Remove the dish from the oven, and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.