Chestnut and Pancetta Stuffing
Chestnuts give this traditional poultry stuffing a sweet, nutty flavor
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 30M
Serves: makes 4-6 servings
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3oz ( 85g) pancetta, diced
- 2 cups day-old bread crumbs
- 1 cup coarsely chopped vacuum-packed chestnuts
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup turkey or chicken stock, as needed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Heat the butter and oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and pancetta and cook for 5 minutes, until the onion is soft and the pancetta is beginning to crisp.
- Transfer to a bowl. Add the bread crumbs, chestnuts, and parsley. Stir in enough broth to moisten the crumb mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread in a buttered shallow baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes, until hot. For crispy stuffing, remove the foil after 15 minutes.
- freeze for up to 2 months
- Good with poultry, or stuffed and cooked inside the bird. (Weigh the bird and calculate the cooking time accordingly.)
Chestnut Stuffing Balls: Add 1 egg, lightly beaten, to the mixture. Form into 8-12 balls, place on an oiled baking sheet, and bake for 30 minutes. Or use the stuffing mixture, with or without added egg, to stuff a turkey. Allow 20 minutes roasting per pound of turkey.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!