Rich, flavorful, and traditional, creamy chestnut stuffing is perfect for a festive roast bird since it complements but doesn't overpower the meal.
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 15-20M
Serves: serves 4-6
Egg & nut free
- 1 cup cooked chestnuts, peeled
- 3/4 cup (6 oz) pork sausage
- 1 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2 shallots or 1 small onion, very finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- a good grating of nutmeg
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 2-3 tbsp light cream
- Drop the chestnuts into a food processor and finely chop (or do it by hand).
- Mix with the remaining ingredients, adding enough cream to bind the mixture. Use to stuff the neck end of the bird. (Never put stuffing in the body cavity since it prevents air from circulating and therefore the bird from cooking. Also, the stuffing may be undercooked.) Or, for stuffing balls, roll into 12-15 walnut-sized 1-inch balls. Place on a lightly oiled baking tray and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes, turning once.
Dairy free also egg & nut free: Follow the recipe for Egg & nut free, but substitute dairy-free spread for the butter and use soy cream alternative in place of the cream.
Gluten free also egg & nut free: Follow the recipe for Egg & nut free, but substitute stale (or lightly toasted) gluten-free breadcrumbs for the ordinary ones. If using with sausage, make sure the sausage is gluten-free too. Please note that this version makes a smaller quantity than the others since gluten-free bread is denser. Pictured here
Excerpted from Allergy-Free Cookbook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!