Chestnuts with Squash and Cranberries
Squash, cranberries, and chestnuts make the perfect side for Thanksgiving, or any other time of the year.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 35M
Serves: Serves 4
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- pinch of ground allspice
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, halved, seeded, and cut into bite-size cubes
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 7oz (200g) vacuum-sealed jar or package of ready-cooked unsweetened whole peeled chestnuts, halved if large
- 1/4 cup fresh or thawed frozen cranberries
- granulated sugar, if needed
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan, add the allspice, cinnamon, and squash, season well with sea salt and ground black pepper, and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until the squash begins to soften. Add more oil, if needed.
- Add the chestnuts and stir to coat. Cook over low heat for 5-10 minutes, then add the cranberries and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Taste and season again, if needed, adding a little sugar if the cranberries are too tart (and then cook until the sugar is dissolved). Serve with roast chicken or turkey.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!