Chickpeas with Spinach
Chickpeas are widely used in Spain as a basis for a variety of beautifully seasoned stews such as this one
Prep Time: prep 15 mins
Cooking Time: cook 10 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 thick slice of crusty white bread, torn into small pieces
- 1lb 10oz ( 750g) leaf spinach
- one 15oz ( 240g) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a frying pan. Add the torn bread and fry, stirring occasionally, until crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Remove any thick stems from the spinach. Wash the spinach well and shake off any excess water. Put the spinach in a large saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring often until it has wilted. Drain in a colander and cool. A handful at a time, squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Transfer to a chopping board and chop coarsely.
- Add the remaining oil in the frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the spinach and cook, stirring often, about 3 minutes, until warmed through. Add the chickpeas, paprika, and cumin. Season with salt and pepper. Crumble in the fried bread.
- Add the vinegar and 2 tbsp water, and cook, stirring often, about 5 minutes, until the chickpeas are hot. Serve immediately.
- prep 15 mins; cook 10 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!