Classic Harvard Beets
When your dinner plate needs a fresh burst of color, beets are a terrific choice!
Serves: Serves: 4 (scant 1/2 cup)
- 1/3 cup pourable Sugar Twin or Sprinkle Sweet
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 cups (one 16-ounce can) diced beets, drained, and 1/2 cup liquid reserved
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-calorie margarine
- In a medium saucepan, combine Sugar Twin, cornstarch, reserved beet liquid, and vinegar.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and starts to boil, stirring often. Add beets. Mix well to combine.
- Lower heat and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring often.
- Just before serving, stir in margarine.
From COOKING HEALTHY ACROSS AMERICA by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 2000 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here or on the book cover.