Classic Onion Rings
This classic favorite is always popular. Use whole-wheat flour to add flavor and a bit of nutrition.
Serves: Serves 4
- 3⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 large Vidalia or other sweet onion, sliced crosswise and rings separated<
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat (oil should be at least 1⁄3 inch deep).
- In a bowl, whisk egg and milk.
- In a separate bowl, spread flour.
- Dip onion rings in egg-milk mixture; then dredge through flour to thoroughly coat.
- Cook several pieces at once in oil for four minutes per piece or until browned and crispy, turning once.
- Drain on paper towels and serve.
Excerpted from The Complete Idiot's Guide to 20-Minute Meals © 2003 by CWL Publishing Enterprises, Inc., John Woods, President. All rights reserved including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form. Used by arrangement with Alpha Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.
To order this book visit Amazon's website or call 1-800-253-6476.