These corn cakes make a filling but low-fat side dish. You might consider them for a breakfast on-the-run!
Serves: Serves: 6
- 4 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons egg substitute
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 3/4 cup canned corn kernels, drained
- 3 tablespoons diced red bell pepper
- Combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl; mix until blended.
- Spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- Spoon batter by tablespoons into hot skillet and cook until bubbles appear on top; turn corn cakes over and cook until lightly browned.
- Wrap in freezer-safe wrap and store in plastic freezer bags.
- To reheat: Cook in microwave on High 30 to 45 seconds per cake and serve with additional salsa.
- Although fiber values between white and yellow corn may differ slightly, all other nutrient values are equal.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.