Couscous Stuffing with Harissa and Walnuts
Adding harisssa and walnuts makes this couscous stuffing memorable and delicious.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 15M
Serves: Serves 4
- 11/2 cups (8oz/225g) couscous
- 11/2 cups (350ml) hot vegetable stock
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp harissa sauce (Middle Eastern chile paste)
- handful of dark raisins
- 1/2 cup walnut halves and pieces
- 4 preserved lemons
- Pour the couscous into a heatproof bowl, pour in the stock, and leave to stand for 10 minutes. Stir with a fork to fluff up the grains.
- Season well with salt and pepper, then stir in the harissa, raisins, and walnuts. Halve the preserved lemons, scoop out and discard the flesh, and chop the remainder. Stir into the couscous.
- Use as a stuffing for turkey, chicken, or oily fish, such as mackerel. Harissa is fairly hot; if you don't want any heat, substitute with the same quantity of tomato purée.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!