Couscous with Pine Nuts and Almonds
A tasty alternative to rice; serve hot as a side dish or cold as a salad
Prep Time: prep 15 mins, plus standing
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 / 2 cup raisins
- 1 / 2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 / 2 cucumber, seeded and diced
- 1 / 4 cup chopped pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 / 4 cup blanched almonds, lightly toasted
- 1 / 4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 1 / 4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chopped mint
- Put the couscous in a heatproof bowl. Add enough boiling water to cover the couscous by 1in (2.5cm). Let stand for 15 minutes, or until the couscous has absorbed all the water. Fluff up the grains with a fork.
- Stir in the pepper, raisins, apricots, cucumber, olives, almonds, and pine nuts.
- Whisk together the oil, lemon juice, and mint. Pour over the couscous and toss. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm, or let cool and serve at room temperature.
- prep 15 mins, plus standing
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!