This delicious and versatile vegetable purée can be served in place of mashed potatoes
Prep Time: prep 10 mins
Cooking Time: cook 30 mins
Serves: makes 4-6 servings
- 2 1 / 2 lb ( 1.1kg) rutabaga, pared and cut into chunks
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- pinch of grated nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the rutabaga in a large saucepan with lightly salted water to cover. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook about 30 minutes, or until tender. Drain well.
- Return to the saucepan over a very low heat. Add the butter. Mash the rutabaga with a potato masher, then mix in the cream and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve hot.
- prep 10 mins; cook 30 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!